Spicy Slow Cooker Jambalaya
- 1 pkg (1 1/4 lb) hot Scott Pete Polish Sausage cut into 1-inch slices (6)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tsp Cajun seasoning
- 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
- 2 cups sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice
- 2 tbsp butter, cubed
- 1 lb peeled deveined large shrimp, tail removed
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- In a slow cooker, combine sausages, onion, celery, red pepper, jalapeño, garlic, Cajun seasoning, salt and pepper. Stir in broth, tomatoes, tomato paste and bay leaves.
- Cover and cook on High for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until vegetables are softened.
- Stir in rice; cover and cook on High for 30 to 40 minutes or until rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed. Stir in butter.
- Stir in shrimp; cover and cook on Low for 12 to 15 minutes or until shrimp and sausages are cooked through. Remove bay leaves. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve with lemon wedges.
Tip: Serve with Louisiana-style hot sauce if desired.