Smoked Sausage Stuffing
…and at the top of the list of things you'll be grateful for this Thanksgiving will be this Smoked Sausage Stuffing
- 1 pound Scott Pete Polish Sausage, sliced thinly
- 1 pound of white bread
- 1 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 2 pounds of cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cups yellow onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cups celery, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups carrot, diced
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sage, chopped
- 1 tablespoon rosemary, chopped
- 1 tablespoon thyme, chopped
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
Prior to starting, tear bread into small pieces about 1 inch thick and dry them out by either laying them on a cooking sheet overnight, or by baking them in the oven at 3oo degrees F for 20 minutes.
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook smoked sausage in a large frying pan. Remove any excess grease.
- Butter a 9×13 pan.
- In a large skillet, melt butter. Add in onions, celery, and carrots. Cook until onions are soft. Then add in mushrooms and cook until slightly soft.
- Add vegetables and dried our bread chunks in a large bowl. Stir in the sage, rosemary and thyme. Allow to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the broth, cream and eggs. Pour over the cooled bread mixture. Stir to make sure the bread soaks equally.
- Put in the prepared pan and place it in the oven. Bake for about 30-40 minutes.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes and serve warm.
6 - 8