Scott Pete Sausage and Pretzels
- Scott Pete Sausage Links
- dash of vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 c. lukewarm water
- 1 Tbsp. active dry yeast
- 4 1/2 - 5 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c. lukewarm milk
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 5 Tbsp. baking soda
- melted butter (optional)
- sea salt (optional)
Pretzels Part 1:
- In a mixer, slowly combine the lukewarm water with the yeast. In another bowl, stir the salt, sugar, and flour together. Once the yeast has dissolved in the mixer, add the flour mixture and warm milk to the mixer bowl. Use the dough attachment to knead. Cover with a damp towel, and let the dough rise in a greased bowl until double in size. This should take ~1 hour.
- Punch down the dough and separate it into 9 pieces (for 9 pretzels). Roll each piece into a long rope, about 3-4 feet and about 3/4 of an inch around. Shape each pretzel and place on a greased cookie sheet. Let the shaped pretzels rise for about another 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
While You Wait for the Dough to Rise:
- Heat vegetable oil in a pan over medium or medium-low heat.
- Cook for ~5 minutes, turning sausage halfway through.
- Place on a paper-towel-lined plate while you cook the pretzels.
Pretzels Part 2:
- In a large pot, make a bath of baking soda and boiling water. Using a large spoon, lower each pretzel into the water and leave for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Return each pretzel to the cookie sheet. (Optional: Brush each pretzel with butter and sprinkle with sea salt).
- Bake pretzels about 10 minutes.