Sausage and Shrimp Gumbo
You just can't argue with delicious!
- 11 links Scott Pete Polish Sausage
- 1/2 pound large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 cups of cooked white rice
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cloves of garlic, diced
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- Cut sausage into round pieces, about 1/2 inch thick.
- Combine flour and oil in a heavy saucepan, stirring until smooth. Cook and stir for about 3 minutes on medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cook and stir for 6-8 minutes, or until it is a dark reddish-brown.
- Stir in onion, bell peppers, celery and garlic. Stir and cook until vegetables are tender- about 8-10 minutes. Stir in Cajun seasoning.
- Stir in chicken broth and bring to boil. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Reduce heat to low and add in sausage, pepper sauce, black pepper and salt. Cover and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove cover and bring to boil. Add shrimp and cook until pink—about 3 minutes.
- Serve in bowls over rice.