Sausage and Sauerkraut Bake
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pkg (1 1/4 lb) Scott Pete Polish Sausage, sliced (6)
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 3 tbsp cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 4 tsp Dijon mustard
- 4 cups sauerkraut
- Pumpernickel bread, thickly sliced, for serving
- Preheat oven to 375˚F. Heat oil in a large skillet set over medium heat; cook sausages for 5 to 8 minutes or until starting to brown. Transfer to 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
- In the same skillet, cook onions, red pepper, green pepper, salt and pepper over medium heat for 5 to 8 minutes or until starting to soften. Stir in broth, vinegar, brown sugar and mustard; bring to boil. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until liquid is slightly thickened.
- Layer onion mixture over sausages in baking dish. Top with sauerkraut.
- Cover tightly with foil; bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until bubbling and sausages are cooked through. Serve with pumpernickel bread.
- Sprinkle with finely chopped chives or parsley before serving.
- Substitute rye bread for pumpernickel bread if desired.