Sausage and Chickpea Salad
Loaded with veggies, tangy feta and fresh herbs, this tasty chickpea-sausage salad tossed in a mustard-lemon-soy dressing is perfect for weeknight family dinners.
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon liquid honey
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 package (1 1/4 pounds) Hot Scott Pete Polish Sausage, sliced
- 1 apple, cored and sliced
- 1 can (19 ounces) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup finely crumbled feta cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- 4 cups packed baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
- Dressing: In medium bowl, whisk together lemon juice, oil, mustard, honey, soy sauce, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Salad: Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In another medium bowl, toss sweet potatoes with 1 tablespoon oil, salt and pepper. Arrange in single layer on parchment paper–lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden and tender.
- Meanwhile, into large skillet set over medium-high heat, add remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Add sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, for 6 to 8 minutes or until heated through and starting to brown.
- Into large bowl, add apple, chickpeas, red pepper, onion, feta and walnuts. Pour in lemon juice mixture and toss to coat. Stir in sausage, sweet potatoes and spinach. Garnish with chives.
- Divide salad among 4 to 6 plates.
Tips: Substitute apple with seasonal fruit as desired, such as pear, peach, plum or mango.
Substitute feta with goat cheese if preferred.
|Per 1/6 of recipe|
|Saturated Fat 10g|
4 to 6