Polish Sausage with Cabbage
This dish will bring back memories ot yesteryear, but it's so delicious it will soon become a family favorite.
- 2 packages Scott Pete Beef Polish Sausage
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 head of cabbage, shredded, about 10 to 12 cups shredded
- 3 tart apples, peeled, cored, and sliced thinly
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut in thin strips
- 3 cups sliced onion
- 1 crushed clove of garlic
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, orange zest, garlic, salt, nutmeg, pepper, and allspice.
- In a large, oven-safe pot, layer half of the cabbage first, half of the onions second and half of the apples last.
- Sprinkle with half of the brown sugar mixture and top with half of the pepper strips. Repeat layers from steps 2 and 3. Pour orange juice and vinegar over mixture in casserole.
- Bake at 350 degrees, covered, for 1 hour.
- Make shallow slits in the sausage at 1-inch intervals. Place in the pot in the oven, pressing sausage into the cabbage mixture about a quarter of the way.
- Cover sausage and cabbage and bake for 30 minutes longer.
- Remove from oven and serve.
6 - 8