Polish Sausage, Sweet Potato & Lentil Chili
This tasty sausage chili is hearty, satisfying and comforting, especially on a chilly winter night.
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- 1 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, diced
- 4 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 can (28 oz) stewed tomatoes
- 2 cups sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 1 pkg (1.25 lb) Scott Pete Polish Sausage , sliced
- 2 cans (19 oz each) lentils, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- Heat oil in Dutch oven or large saucepan set over medium-high heat. Cook sweet potatoes, salt and pepper for 4 to 5 minutes or until starting to brown. Remove from pan; set aside.
- Stir onion, red pepper, celery, jalapeño, chili powder and cumin into pan; cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until slightly softened. Stir in tomato paste; cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in tomatoes, broth and sausage; bring to boil. Return sweet potatoes to pan; add lentils. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender and chili is thickened.
- Serve with dollop of sour cream and sprinkle of green onions.
Tip: Also delicious with Scott Pete Beef Polish Sausage, Hot Beef Polish Sausage or Hot Polish Sausage.