Polish Ryemeal Soup
Try the Scott Pete take on the traditional Polish soup known as "Zurek".
For the Ryemeal:
- 3/4 cup rye flour
- 2 cups of water boiled and cooled
For the Soup:
- 1/2 pound Scott Pete Polish Sausage
- 1/2 pound of soup vegetables, chopped (carrots, parsnips, celery, leeks)
- 1 pound potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour mixed with 4 tablespoons water
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 3 hard-cooked eggs
For the ryemeal:
In a medium bowl, mix rye flour and water. Pour into ceramic bowl and cover with cheesecloth. Let stand in a warm place for 4-5 days.
For the soup:
In a large soup pot, bring vegetables and water to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for 30 minutes. Strain the broth and discard the vegetables
In a soup pot, fry together the chopped onion and sausage until lightly browned.
Add the vegetable broth, potatoes, and ryemeal sour that you made earlier. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are al dente.
Whisking constantly, add the flour-water mixture, garlic, and a little salt. Bring soup back to boil, reduce to a simmer and cook until potatoes are soft.
Serve in bowls with half a hard-cooked egg in each serving.