Mac N’ Cheese Hot Dogs with Bacon
- Scott Pete Wieners & Franks
- hot dog buns
- 12 oz. bacon, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 2 1/2 c. water
- 4 c. milk
- 16 oz. elbow macaroni
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 4 c. shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 Tbsp. chopped parsley
- We have found it’s easier to chop your bacon when it’s not cooked yet. Chop bacon into bits, then cook in a large pan over medium-high heat until crispy, about 4-5 minutes. Drain the bacon on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Save about 2 Tbsp. bacon grease in the pan. Add the flour then whisk until no lumps, about 30 seconds.
- Pour in the water and whisk until smooth and thick.
- Add the milk and whisk again.
- Gently stir in the macaroni, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika and pepper. Bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Simmer and cook 10-12 minutes or until the macaroni is cooked.
- Lower the heat to low and mix in the cheddar cheese. Keep stirring until the sauce is smooth. If you’d like a thinner sauce, add more milk 1 Tbsp. at a time.
- Stir in half the bacon.
- Meanwhile, cook the hot dogs according to package directions.
- Build your hot dogs, then top with mac n’ cheese. Garnish with remaining bacon and parsley.