Apple, Sausage, and Sauerkraut
Just like Grandma used to make come apple-picking season!
- 1 package Scott Pete Polish Sausage
- 1 can (8 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium apples, peeled and shredded
- 1 medium sweet onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat and then add onion, sautéing for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- While onion cooks, add a little oil to a frying pan over medium heat and brown sausages on all sides, about 5 to 10 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. Then add apples, sauerkraut, apple juice, caraway and fennel to the onion. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Serve apples and sauerkraut topped with sausages whole or sliced to your preference.